Dear World Bank
, Asian Development Bank
, Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank,
and Public Development Banks:
We, Asian youth climate strikers, call on the World Bank, the AIIB, the ADB and Public Development Banks (PDBs) to stop using public money to finance the deadly fossil fuel industry.
Asia is one of the most vulnerable regions to climate change, and we refuse to inherit a future where public funds are used to exacerbate this crisis through investments in an industry that has historically put profit over the welfare of historically marginalized frontline communities.
Instead, there should be a collective and collaborative effort across governments and institutions to focus on a green and Just Recovery post-COVID 19. We demand investments in a safer present by strengthening pandemic-proof social protections for vulnerable groups and communities and building a resilient future for us all through a just transition to renewable energy.Our key demands are:
1. PDBs must stop financing the fossil fuel industry in Asia;
2. PDBs must align policies with the Sustainable Development Goals and the Paris Agreement;
3. PDBs must invest in a resilient future post-pandemic;
4. PDBs must make efforts to focus on the children, the youth and our future by ramping up ambition towards zero emissions, and;
5. PDBs must invest not only on climate solutions but pandemic-proof social protections to respond to the disproportionate effects of COVID-19 and climate change to indigenous groups, gender groups, and the historically marginalized.
We are fighting back for change and justice on all fronts. On November 28th, we will be holding the Asia Climate Rally, a collective day of action organized by youth strikers from Malaysia, Philippines, India, Nepal, Pakistan, Indonesia, South Korea, Hong Kong and Singapore, both online and offline. We will be demanding climate action, divestment, the protection of our environment defenders, policies for people and planet, ambition, collaboration and accountability, all towards a just recovery.ADB, AIIB and PDBs in the Finance in Common Summit – we are watching you.
- Powershift Nepal
- FFF India
- Climate Action Pakistan
- Youth Strike 4 Climate Philippines
- SG Climate Rally
- Students Taking Action for NUS to Divest (STAND)
- Mountains to Ocean Climate Initiative
- Asian Environmental Youth Network
- Jaga Rimba Indonesia
- NTU Divest
- 350 Asia